Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Referral Day

Wednesday, November 5, I got "the call". It was a dreary day here and it was misting. Something told me that maybe this was the day and I took a photo of the trees across from my house as I jumped in the car. It was 6:30am and the darkness had just started moving away. My plan was to take photos every morning, never thinking that this was "the day". Unlike my fellow Precious Pandas, all waiting for "the call" I tried not to get to excited only to be let down another day. You see, all of our paperwork has been in China for over 32 months. Most of us started way before this and when we did, the process took only 6 months. So, for the past three years, every 6 months we were told/though, oh, just 6 more months.

The Rumor boards were quiet, all the yahoo groups were quiet...eerily so! How is it that the CCAA and the agencies have finally mastered the zip-lip technique when I'M expecting the call. My ECG girls & Precious Pandas are all speculating but nothing...all quiet.
At 2:00pm on the dot, my cell rings. Unkown area code??? No, My Agency area code!! OMG!
I pick up the phone and
my FA says: Stephanie?
me: Phillip? Is this it? Is this the call? DON'T SAY ANYTHING!!! I'm on my way home!!! Can you call me back? BUT DON'T TELL ME ANYTHING YET!!!!
Phillip: (trying not to giggle) Yes, this IS IT, How long will it take you to get home?
me: 30 minutes
Phillip: Okay, no problem
me: You can call another family if you want so I don't hold you up, I'll understand and I'll be home waiting for your call. I hang up. Post to my group that I got the call, referrals are really here and that I hung up on Phillip and told him to call me later. Jump in my car and race home. Meanwhile, I'm getting all these texts saying "ARE YOU CRAZY, INSANE, STUPID...YOU HUNG UP ON THE CALL" I know, I know. But I wanted to be home and video tape it. Hey, I've waited for 3+ years, I think the least they can do is wait for me for 30 minutes!!!
So, I arrive home, oh did I tell you I'm sick as a dog with major resp. issues!! Thank God for adrenaline...I didn't feel a thing. I change my clothes, brush my hair, let Pirate outside, turn on the computer, turn on the video tape, review call sheet, look for lost "referral pen". (which I never did find) then wait... wait... and wait...
Finally Phillip calls me back. He waited for me to get home and didn't call anyone else. I was the first. He said he sent the email with her photos and for me to open it up. I said no, I want you to tell me everything first because I won't pay any attention otherwise. I have no idea really what he said. I will have to reference the video.
The tidbits I got were:
It's a Girl
She's 10 months old.
Her birthdate is in January
Her name
She's from Guangdong
That's it!! He rambled for about 10 minutes but I have no idea what he said but I kept saying yes, okay, absolutely.
He then asks me to open the email and I say no.
I told him I wanted to do it by myself when I got off the phone but Thanked him for the call.
Then, I go to my computer and keep refreshing my email...
there is no email from Phillip.
Refresh, Refresh, Refresh... nothing
Then I decide to check my msn email...Then I see this...
This is it!!! And this is what I saw. Sorry that the video is so bad. I was trying to be cool because I had the video camera on me and my little camera taping my laptop as I opened the photo. Those of you that want to do this, might I suggest practicing. It didn't come out well but it's still memorable. The second I saw her I was in love and I kept saying that she looks like me. Something about her looks like me or it was her I saw in my dreams. She was so familiar. I must say Pirate was smitten too, you can hear him in the background. Stephe (yes, it's official, I'm a dork)


to be continued...

I will try to post referral video with the camcorder. At least it's clear video. Then more of that day!!!

13 comments:

K and/or K said...

Awwww...this gave me the kills and ruined my mascara--before I even saw the video. So happy for you!

the mommy said...

I love how your voice was all shaky...and you are right she does look like you...

Evelyn said...

What an unforgettable day! I agree she does look like you. I can't wait to see a picture of here in your arms.
(((hugs)))
Evelyn

4D said...

I love that you did as much as you did to document the day!

Keep smilin!

RamblingMother said...

spitting image. congrats!!

Kim said...

It's so wonderful that you video taped and can recall every thing. I'm SOOOOOO impressed with how you hung up on him and drove home. I don't think I would have had that self control =)

Kim

Tiffany said...

Many congratulations to you...

Tiffany (also a Yangdong mom)

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you! I am in tears after watching your video. I remember having a shakey voice as well. Congratulations again.
CDS friend

Twice Blessed China Mom said...

I'm so happy for you! I was thrilled to see some details. My younger daughter is from the same province as your daughter. Your daughter is so sweet! Keep us posted!
Jeana

Paula said...

Thank you for sharing your video. I got chills watching it; it made me remember my own call. Congratulations and I can't wait to follow your blog when you're in China meeting Giorgia.

Special K said...

Wow... that made me a little teary just imagining all the emotions you were feeling. Thanks for sharing.
PS. She's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I am extreamly happy for you. And it is uncanny how Georgia does look like you. Same shape face and what a beautiful Mouth she has. Funny, how all 6 of mine also have a full face and cheeks and the pointed top lips. So We think she is georgeous, Congratulations .
Bella DeRose, MD

Manette said...

Stephe... 1st, Congratulations!!! 2nd, She does look like you! And 3rd, What a GREAT idea of video that special moment! I wish we would have done that. What a GREAT idea!
Hugs,
Manette & the gang

Related Posts with Thumbnails