Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Airport X-Ray Machine

* The airport X-ray machine can erase your hard drive?

"Before everyone had digital cameras, we all used film. And X-rays, being a type of light, could destroy undeveloped film, ruining once-in-a-lifetime vacation photos. And even as the X-ray machines at airport security grew safer for all
but the fastest-speed films, travelers continued keep their cameras and film safely out of range. It was understandable.

This habit has followed us into the digital age. Many travelers, especially those who don't fly regularly, are wary about running electronic items like laptops and iPods through the X-ray machine for fear it will screw up their hard drives.

Fear not. My laptop, which contains my checkbook, stored digital photos and previous issues of this newsletter, has survived scores of trips through the X-ray gantlet with no ill effects.

But before you sigh with relief, make sure you’re not too close to the security station metal detector. Metal detectors operate with electromagnetic energy, with CAN affect the data on your hard drive. Make sure your digital devices go AROUND the beeping portal, not through it. And keep that hand-held metal detector from waving too close to them.

My advice is to put them in the bin that runs through the X-ray machine.
"
This was part of a newsletter I received through email.

1 comment:

Robin said...

You are so full of information! I too have never had any trouble going through security with my laptop and the Xray machine. I travel every other month for work. I always send my electronics on the conveyor belt :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails