Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Traveling Alone?

Best Reason for Traveling with Someone…
Is to have someone to share the memories with down the road but sometimes it just doesn’t work out that way for whatever reason.
I have been reading lots of threads on this topic because there might be a small chance that I will travel alone. I am comfortable with the idea either way; it’s just my nature. Here are some of the concerns and solutions that I’ve read.
Bonding Time
Cherish this special time together. It’s the perfect time to bond with your child.
Group Support
Some say that traveling with a small group of people was very helpful. Lots of people meet other families through online yahoo groups ahead of time.” Plus a good agency can make a huge difference when you are traveling alone. It is a good idea to check to see if you will be met at the airport, what services are provided at or near the hotel (babysitting, a restaurant, laundry, email or fax). Find out if will have access to a translator and someone to walk you through the “paperwork process” while in the country.
Taking Photos
You might not be able to take thousands of photos or tons of videotape documenting the journey. It’s kind of hard to do well by yourself but it’s doable. You might not be in a lot of the shots but I am sure that others in your travel group will definitely help you out here. If you have a baby carrier or stroller, you’ll be able to have a hand or two free to take some photos and you can always practice before you leave if you have any friends that have a little one.
Gotcha Day Photos
You’ll definitely need someone to take pictures and video for you on gotcha day. This, I would imagine, would be the hardest. Be pro-active here and try to organize with the other members of your travel group, or people you meet along the way. For me, if I have to travel alone...I’d even be willing to pay someone in the building to come with me and take photos. You do what you have to do. I will have my digital camera, video camera, and a bunch of disposable cameras. I am very protective of my cameras so if you are ever wary of someone handling yours, just give them the disposable one. It’s an option!
Showering
Bring the baby with you in the shower, let her play on the bathroom floor with the shower open so you can see her, shower with the door open when she’s asleep, or shower before she wakes. If none of these work, maybe she can even play with one of her China Sisters while you shower.
Buffet Breakfast
How do you attempt the buffet with your little one in tow? Lot of people say this is a hard one too. You could have someone fill your plate for you, but I could never do that especially when you don’t know what some of the items are. I think I would have to check it out for myself. If you’re wearing her on a sling or have her in a stroller, it would make it easier. If you strap her in a highchair, I am sure a travel mate could watch her for a minute or two.
Other Meals
You have room service or if you’re at the White Swan, there is always the famous Danny’s Bagels that delivers and so do a lot of other restaurants on Shamian Island. Some have resorted to stocking up on a few items from breakfast and bringing them along for a snack. Others liked that they brought packets of oatmeal, granola bars and peanut butter for snacking. Some brought enough formula or rice cereal for the same reason. They said stock up just before gotcha day so that first day or two you won’t have to run around for basic needs and spend more time bonding.
Bottled Water
Typically, Room service will deliver water to your room, above and beyond the amount given to you each day if that is inadequate.
Getting Sick
What if you get sick? One mom wrote, “I was blessed to get to travel with another couple and I credit them with making my experience so wonderful.” So, ask for help if you need if from your travel mates, bring LOTS of OTC meds and try your hardest to take care of yourself and stay healthy.
Flights
Some babies have colds and the medicine makes them sleepy so they might just sleep for long periods of time. A seat of their own seems like such a lifesaver. I know some like the Baby B’Air. I think it’s awesome in theory and WILL test it out. This way, she can be attached to you and should you dose off, she won’t fall off your lap. I will need someone to hold the baby on the airplane when I want to go to the bathroom. I hear flight attendants will do this, as will other people you are traveling with. Someone said that it is also possible, albeit inconvenient, to take her to the bathroom with you, using a sling. Also, if you can afford it, buy a seat for your newest little one on the flight home. I have found that sometimes it’s cheaper to buy a round trip ticket rather than a one-way and other told me that it’s cheaper to actually purchase that in China. My agency arranges all of this so I might not have a choice in the matter. Anyway, I’m told that the extra seat made ALL the difference on our return trip.
Luggage
That’s a tricky one. I haven’t figured that one out yet if I travel alone. I will just have to practice at home. I figure, Diaper bag will be a backpack, check in bag and carry on will hook together and be on wheels. Plus Giorgia will have a bag on the way home filled with souvenirs. I will attempt to find a bag that will somehow hook to the others. My little one will be in the stroller that I will purchase from China or the wrap that I plan to bring. My guess it will be the stroller.
So, have a sense of adventure, be flexible, a bit patient and keep a sense of humor no matter what your situation! This will probably be the most intense time of adoption experience but it will pass. Remember that bonding is a process and it will take some longer than others.
So see…it’s DOABLE. No Worries. (Oh and don’t for exercise your arms before you go!)
Anyone that has traveled alone, your input in welcome. Please post a comment!! :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephe,
I loooove your website! Such great info and great advice, very helpful! We are LID 3/3 so we're right behind you. I love your packing list and travel tips! Actually, I have a silly question. I was reading on the Travel Tips page that we shouldn't bring any aerosol cans and that got me thinking about hair spray. Well mine is aerosol. I wasn't sure if you were planning to bring hair spray or not but thought I'd ask what kind you may be bringing if you plan to? Just like you, it feels like we've been waiting on this adoption forever and I think I've exhausted all the real "valid" questions and now I'm down to the kind of silly ones. :) Oh and I hope that Pirate is doing so much better, what a sweetie he is!!! My email is rabbit3872@hotmail.com. Take care and have a great evening!!
Michelle

Donna said...

Stephe,

As long as Joe and I are along, you definitely won't be traveling alone even if your friend can't make it.

I SO hope that our girls are from the same province so we're in the same group when we break out into smaller groups!

My hubby is the ultimate helper, errand runner, etc...so he'll have us both covered!

Donna :)

Unknown said...

this is awesome..Im so glad I found it..What an encouragement you are.

Still paperchasing,
Amy and Michael

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephe,

Love the information you gave on packing and not getting your luggage lost. What a nightmare that would be, especially on this trip! Hope your dog is doing better now.

Steph (LID: 10-14-05 waiting for the next batch to come in!)

Paula said...

I love your site! You're so organized. I traveled with my husband and son but our daughter only would go to me. With the exception of the luggage, I did everything (except the one episode at the squatty potty that I couldn't avoid) including bathroom, showering, eating and taking pics with her either in my arms or right beside me. Jess wasn't fond of high chairs or strollers so strapping her in there was rarely a happy option. It's amazing what you learn to do 1-handed, especially if you use a sling (I used hip hammock). I even managed to send a couple of emails typing with one hand.

LedaP said...

Ahhh, you can do it if you have to. There are times it would have been really nice to have another adult with me. At times it was nice because I didn't have to wait around on anyone to go shopping, to lunch, or whatever. When other husband's were hounding there wives about how much money they were spending shopping, I just smiled :)

Luggage was tricky on the way home - my suitcase was Extra heavy! If you plan to take a laptop you have to take it in and out for each security check which is tough with a baby.

In China I carried Kaylee to the buffet with me, and I was able to get TONS of pictures. My guide videotaped the gotcha for me. I even traveled to Kaylee's province alone, the other families went to a different province. So, I was alone (with Kaylee and my 8 yr old son for a week)!

Get yourself a good Ergo Carrier...Kaylee was 23 lbs and so secure in there - I could truly be hands free when I needed to be and it was a lifesaver. I also had another couple that her husband was so kind (like the one mentioned above) and always looking out for me and Austin and Kaylee.

Related Posts with Thumbnails