Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

My Baby Hurts

Thanks to everyone that posted such sweet thoughts. I told Pirate everyone is pulling for him and hoping he feels better soon. I also told him that he better give me a kiss soon. We're still working on that one. :) Like I've said, he's been in the kitchen. I've got lots of blankets, towels and sheets for him to lay on. I also bought a pop-up tent for him a while back and put in the kitchen. He has been hiding out in it. I think it makes him feel safe. Picture below:

**warning: kinda graphic**

Well, Pirate has been home one full day and it's just so sad. He is either sleeping or pacing and straining to urinate. (The stitches from the bladder stones are no problem) Anyway, I would say every 30 minutes he will release urine and blood through the exposed hole. It's actually easier if he goes on the kitchen floor since I have to make sure that urine is actually coming out. It's nearly impossible to tell outside in the freezing cold because it usually just runs down his leg and you can't actually see it. It is very imortant that I visually see it just to make sure there is no blockage which can create a toxic situation. I must say it's quite messy. (but I don't mind) I've scrubbed my kitchen floor so many times and already done laundry twice for all of his sheets and towels. I hate seeing him strain so much and he won't eat at all. I've tried cheese, scrambled eggs, fruit, canned yucky dog food that he flips for...nothing. It makes it hard to give him his pill. I practically forced it down him this morning. Just what I need...cause him more trama. I wish I could just reason with him...medicine = feel better. I think I will make a run for some peanut butter and try that. Does anyone have any suggestions? I do have a mortise and pestal to grind his pill but still need to mix it with something he will eat. This is what I've tried so far. (below) Any suggestions?????

9 comments:

Special K said...

Poor Pirate... and poor Momma! I hope he gets better soon. This is certainly very hard on you both.

I always use cheese for pills so I'm not sure. But the peanut butter sounds like a good idea. Or maybe try to hide it in a piece of meat somehow.

Abby's Mom said...

I can't see the pictures but have you tried cottage cheese or baby food? Hope he gets back to his self soon!

Donna said...

When my dog was sick he used to love yogurt. Also he would love to lick the gel stuff you give cats to prevent hairballs.

Eliza2006 said...

I'm not sure how big the pill is, but you might try putting the pill on the end of your finger and put it straight down his throat. You will feel like you are gagging him, but it is over so quick and painless. My mom actually had me do this with Eliza in China. The only laxative we could find was in the form of a pill and it was really yucky when we would grind it up. It worked very well. Hope your baby is feeling well soon!

Tiffany

Colleen said...

Oh my heart is breaking!! This must be so hard on you and I am so sorry. Well - any time Copper has gone thru something (and there's been many things....) he really hasn't ever lost his appetite. How about trying some boiled hamburger or turkey? Or cottage cheese? Poor little man. I hope things start to get easier for both of you.

NorasMommy said...

Glad to hear that Pirate is on the mend. I know how difficult it is having a sick furbaby.

We use raw meat (which is the primary diet) and liverwurst for pills at our house. I've also had pretty good luck just tossing them down and holding her muzzle while stroking her throat.

If all else fails, you could ask your vet about getting the meds in a different form - like liver chews or liquid.

Good luck!
Jennifer

LedaP said...

OH NOOOOO! I just checked in and I can't believe it!! I hope Pirate is ok!! I also always use cheese for the pills and Bandit gulps it down. I hope Pirate is back to his old self soon.

My step Dad also lives in the Villages...I had no idea until this had hit so close - I assume he is ok, because nobody has called and it is too late to call, (I am in CA) but I will be calling him first thing in the AM!!

Jen said...

Hi--just a suggestion for pirate.
Try blending the medicine with some vanilla yogurt. It is good for the urinary tract and tastes good. I have a chihuahua puppy and she loves her little bite of yogurt!

Samantha said...

Sage will only eat boiled hamburger and rice when sick.

Related Posts with Thumbnails