Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Smells in China

(this info is dedicated to Hope who has a very sensitive nose. I love ya and just want to give you a heads up on this new info I found)

The air definitely has a very strong odor! I had read somewhere that when a couple got off the plane the wife commented to husband that someone was smoking a very strong cigarette. His response was, "I don' think that is cigarette, it is the air". In some parts of China, it seems that coal is burned as fuel source so the air quality is very poor. Most did not smell the odor in the hotel room with the AC on but once you opened the door, they could. One reported that she had a mild headache for the first several days there and never really got used to it.
They also said that when they made it to Guanzhou, it was much better. They said you could mostly smell the river.

Another posted that she has a sensitive nose and that she didn’t notice a smell about China in general, but there was a lot of smoking everywhere. And some restaurants had a foul odor even when the food was good. So, that is some good news.

Another posted “I did have a raw throat in China, and I thought I was fighting a cold. It seemed reasonable since we were under stress and not sleeping well. Someone else also had a sore throat, and she figured it was the pollution. I think she was right. Take some throat lozenges or hard candies when you go to soothe your throat.”
Another posted “We also noticed that many of the people smelled like moth balls...I'm sure they use them to keep clothing 'wear-able'. Our Japanese students smelled the same, so we were used to it.”

Another posted “The smells rarely bothered me but did bother my teenage daughter when they were strong. I also am an asthmatic and did not have any asthma in China - nor was I bothered by the pollution in Changsha.”

So, I’m anticipating a “different smell, sometimes unidentifiable” when I go to China. Good thing I have a bad sense of smell!!! I’ll practice by hanging out at the Chinatown Underground Market on hot day! (Philly girls) For me, I can deal with smells but like one other poster stated, I too, tend to get a raw throat, so I plan to bring lots of lozenges.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails