Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Asian Flush

This was a post on one of my yahoo group that I found very interesting. I thought it would be okay to post since she said it was okay to share with other groups...
"I just read an article of interest to parents as our children approach the teen years.
Asian Flush is a hereditary condition common to 40% of Asians (45% ofChinese) that make their systems unable to process alcohol normally.Those with this condition have no symptoms until they drink alcohol,with a red flush to their face and rapid onset of intoxication, even with small amounts of alcohol. With this inability to metabolize alcohol there may be a build up of the toxin acetaldehyde, resulting in red blotchy skin, dizziness, nausea and an irregular heart beat. With recurrent ingestion of alcohol this poison makes the individual more prone to alcohol related diseases long term, including liver and esophageal cancer.
According to the article I read, there is genetic testing available for the deficient gene. I was unable to find out more information about this. It is important for parents to know about this disorder, particularly to be pro-active in educating our pre-teens about how alcohol may affect our children even more than the others. Teen drinking is a huge issue for any family, but for our children it could be deadly.
Please feel free to share this with other groups.
Debbi Borchers, M.D."

1 comment:

Reesie said...

I haven't seen this term in a while, but my mother and I are both affected with this condition. She is Japanese, I am Japanese American. I have a VERY low tolerance, and it can be scary if he/she drinks just a little too much too fast-once you realize you've had too much, it's too late. Fortunately my mother scared me to death when I was young so I would be very careful growing up!

www.expectingfromchina.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails