Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Lifebook & Birthparents

I belong to a yahoo group on China Lifebooks for our daughters. It's an awesome site and very helpful in creating a Lifebook. This latest topic is on Birthparents. It's very thought provoking and a section that I am definately struggling with. One of the questions was "what are your feelings about the Birthparents?" Here is a portion of what I wrote:


"... I am so grateful to my daughter-to-be’s birthparents. Because of them, I will have a daughter, be a mommy, and have the life that I always dreamed of. Because of them I will be able see her eyes light up when I (Me, Mommy) picks her up from daycare, to sing songs to her in the car, hang her artwork on the fridge, hold her tight when she is grieving, kiss her goodnight, and watch her sleep. Grateful is such an understatement.

Because of them, my daughter might struggle with her identity. Because of them, my daughter will always wonder why they are not her mommy or daddy, but her birthparents. This breaks my heart. How can I be so grateful and so sad/angry. I cannot imagine their world, although I try. I cannot imagine how one cannot raise their own child. I try, but I cannot see clearly.

Fear. This is a small emotion I feel but a powerful one. I fear that a small part of my daughter might resent me for taking her away from her birthparents and China. I hope to show her all the respect for her Heritage and Birthparents that I can.

In my head I imagine next Mother’s Day. I imagine that I find a way to honor her birthparents by doing something special. Am I doing this for me or am I doing this for my daughter? I hope the answer is that I am doing it for both of us! I know for me it will be my way of saying “Thank You” for making me a mom every year!!

I am struggling with how I tell my daughter in her lifebook and then verbally about her birthparents. Do I assume? Do I tell her that her birthparents loved her and placed her to be found for a better life? Do I leave out the “loved” part? How do you explain to your child that you were loved but then abandoned? Love is a powerful and wonderful thing and how can I assure myself that Love & Abandonment never get intertwined. As an adult, it is easier to see the difference. But to a child, how clear is it? I promise that I will try my very hardest to raise her with self esteem and a great sense of self worth. I am just asking for guidance.

I don’t have the words yet but I am working on it!....."

4 comments:

Lisa and Tate said...

Wow... this is real thought provoking.... How do you handle he abandonment and the birthparents issues to a kiddo???? You are on the right thought path!!! Lifebook is another of the projects that I will have to get started on.

Lisa

Kristin said...

I salute you for being honest enough to admit that you feel some anger towards your (to be) daughter's birth parents. I do as well... when I think of her being left on that cold December morning, well, quite frankly I get upset! Then of course, there is sadness in knowing they will never know what a wonderful child she is... my greatest joy comes at someone else's greatest loss and those are tough feelings to reconcile!

Great post. I think you are your child will find your way together.

Donna said...

Stephe,

You say "...my daughter might resent me for taking her away from her birthparents and China."

You're not taking her away from her birthparents...they made a decision to have a child and then due to circumstances, to abandon that child. Even if she were to stay in China, she wouldn't be with her birthparents.

I agree with you though about taking her away from China...I too struggle with what Lauren's feelings will be on being brought to the U.S. I wonder if she would rather stay in China. Of course, I think she would have a much better life full of possibilities here in the U.S., but I still struggle with this.

Elle said...

I am also a part of the Lifebook yahoo group. Stephe, I have been struggling with the same questions. I wish I had the answers.

Related Posts with Thumbnails