Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

What would I do?

Joanna B asks..."Do you have any tips on what you would do different during the wait, or what you wish you would have done more of? Also, where do you get G's adorable clothes?"

what you would do different during the wait? I can't say I would do anything different really. I felt I was amazingly productive during the wait. I had so many things to fill up my time that I didn't have much time to sit around and mope. However, I wished I had gotten in shape and lifted weights. I thought a 18lb baby would be easy to carry all the time. NOT. I also thought people exaggerated about the great wall being hard to walk up. THEY WEREN'T!

what you wish you would have done more of? MORE home improvement things, more decluttering.

where do you get G's adorable clothes? I shopped yard sales and resales for the three years that I waited. I also got lots of beautiful clothes from friends and family. Here is a link to one of blogs that I had dedicated to lots of the yard sale things I've purchased...

Question I want to add...What was I GRATEFUL that I did during the wait? That list is probably long but I share with you.

I am grateful that when I decided to adopt I:
  • Found the price of daycare, daipers and formula for a week and put that into savings each week
  • Paid off my car
  • Researched my butt off on everything
  • Got my packing list blog and stuff done way before referral (mostly)
  • Had lots of clothes for G when we got home
  • Had lots of diapers and wipes ready
  • Carseat installed
  • Joined China Lifebooks and had a base drafted before referral
  • Learned how to Digiscrap and built up my library of elements etc.
  • Researched every step of the paperwork before I actually had to do it.
  • Read LOTS of books on bonding & attachment
  • Started my blog/blogs
  • Joined lots of yahoo groups related to China Adoption
  • Got most of my care package ready before referral & used Red Thread China too.
  • Had a diaper bag packed before I left for China for when I got home.
  • Bought my SWI gifts after Christmas when everything was 75% off
  • Put up the baby gates (except top of stairs...regret not doing that)
  • Had a Learn to speak Mandarin in my car and listen to occassionaly
  • Installed Skype on my computer and practiced before China
  • Designed my Thank You Cards (you'll need a million but you can buy them)
  • Bought Lots of stamps (by FOREVER stamps) I didn't...stamp $ went up. :(
  • Decide on luggage you already have or buy luggage when goes on sale like me.

Okay, I could really go one forever but these are some of the mail things I AM VERY GRATEFUL THAT I DID!

3 comments:

TK said...

*Found the price of daycare, daipers and formula for a week and put that into savings each week*

That is the most excellent idea I have heard. I don't think anyone has mentioned that. It is unreal how much formula costs and diapers. You are very smart to be budgeting for that already. Thanks for posting that.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to comment and say I really enjoyed reading about the process you went through during your wait. All the research and shopping and plans you made. I followed your blog for i think 2 years and even though I had already adopted (though not from china) it was great to follow the journey with you and I think you should teach an adopting from China class:) or what to do during the wait class for any type of adoption.
sylvie
www.chroniclesofmommyhood.typepad.com

Dita said...

wow...you are an incredible mother! What fantastic tips you have!

You're one smart cookie!

Related Posts with Thumbnails