Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Easy Breakfast

I just found this post from this blog and thought it was awesome!!

"A few weeks ago, I had planned a pancake dinner for our evening meal. We do that every once in a while, and while it’s always a hit, I wanted something other than greasy bacon or sausage to accompany our pancakes and fresh fruit. I decided on eggs, which are something I seldom make because in the past, my kids have not been fans of many egg dishes. I scrambled up a few eggs with some light cream and caramelized onions and made a quick frittata, certain that my children would ignore the eggs and inhale the pancakes.

It was not to be. While both children eyed the frittata warily, my daughter tentatively took a small bite, followed quickly by a huge mouthful. Before I could blink she’d finished that slice of frittata and asked for another. Emboldened by his big sister, my son tried his frittata and then informed me that he’s decided he like eggs sometimes, then he finished off his piece as well. Pancakes? Who wanted those when there was a delicious fritatta on the table?

I was stunned. Shocked into silence actually, as I processed the fact that my children were raving about something they’d previously dismissed as inedible. It didn’t take me long, though, to take full advantage of this newfound love and introduce a new wave of ready-to-eat hot breakfasts in the household. For the humble frittata can be made, cooled, and then refrigerated to be eaten throughout the week with little detriment to the quality of the eggs. A quick zap in the microwave and a dollop of fresh salsa, and you’ll swear the fritatta is fresh out of the oven. Add a small glass of juice or milk and some fresh fruit and you have a five-star breakfast ready for your family, and it took about as much time as pouring a bowl of cereal.

You can add any vegetable, cheese, or meat that you’d like to the frittata; we prefer ours made simply with some caramelized onions (or leeks) and cheese. Sometimes we serve the frittata with salsa, and sometimes it’s plain old ketchup. Either way, it scores huge with the entire family for breakfast. "

Quick Fritatta

6 eggs
1/4 cup half & half or milk
pinch of salt and pepper to taste
1 cup diced onions, caramelized slowly in 1 tsp olive oil
1/3 cup shredded Irish cheddar cheese (or cheese of your choice)

Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray. Beat the eggs and half and half together with a whisk, beating well until creamy and full of bubbles. Beat in seasoning and stir in the onions. Place the shredded cheese in the bottom of the pie plate, and then pour the egg mixture on top of it.

Bake in a 350º oven for about 20 minutes, or until the eggs are set and the edges begin to brown. Serve immediately, or cool completely, slice, and store in the refrigerator, covered. Reheat individual slices in the microwave for one minute.

1 comment:

Eliza2006 said...

Thank you! That's going to be our dinner tonight!

Tiffany

Related Posts with Thumbnails