Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

When...

When will I get a referral? I have rolled with ALL of the setbacks & been cool with changing guestimates but when will they stop changing? I put in my head that for sure, by Christmas 07 or Jan 08 I would get a referral. I've thought this for a while. I mean, that would make it 22 or 23 months from LID. I thought I was leaning to the side of caution! But they just processed what...7 days this month!! Each time they refer a very small amount of days, the wait grows out of control! My friend Donna (whom I share an LID date with) did some basic math on her blog that hit me like a ton of bricks. Given the current rate of 7 days, we could be looking at a referral in Dec 08. Basic math again...that would mean we would be waiting almost 3 years from LID. Like I said, I've been rolling with it but when will it end?
I feel like my life has been on hold, sort of. I need to make some big decisions regarding a new couch and new hardwood floors in my downstairs. I thought that I would wait until I got my adoption tax refund to put it towards these things. But, with the longer wait, should I just go ahead and do it now? What if I do it now and referrals really speed up? I plan on paying for all adoption related fees in cash. I will not be financing anything and want to have my credit cards paid off before I bring Giorgi home. I'm actually obsessed with the whole money thing. You know, making sure I have enough for travel, being out of work for two months, medicals stuff, daycare down payments, portraits, diapers, formula...
I'll be fine, I just feel like maybe I shouldn't redo the floors and get the couch. Fear of spending that money and then really needing it.
If you haven't guessed, I am trying out a new life without credit cards! I think that might change. lol. I never had these thoughts when plastic was in my hand!!! I must be nuts. So, with this extended wait, should I spring for the MUCH needed couch and flooring or leave it in the bank for what if, whenever that might be??

13 comments:

Abby's Mom said...

I say go for it! Maybe that's what we need to get things to speed up :)

Julie said...

Hang in there - it does happen! We just got the news and can't believe it!!

Polar Bear said...

I would vote to live life today! Go and get the floors and sofa!

K said...

Hehe, last night I calculated my referral date, based on current conditions, at 6 YEARS and 2 months into my future!

I'm trying not to dwell on it, but, then again, I've only started my wait.

Kimi

4D said...

I have put my life on hold also. We took it off hold and started living. Gotta get things ready for our little one and no better time to do it then now.

You will find a way!

Keep smilin!

Special K said...

I'm just like you when it comes to money. But I've decided to start doing some little fix ups around the house since the wait has gotten so long. So I say go for it!

Kim said...

If it were me, I would go ahead and get the flooring and sofa. I know you said no CCs BUT....

I would purchase the flooring at Home Depot and use one of their 12 month interest free promos. Figure out if you can afford 12 even payments without touching your baby money. You should be able to hunt down a 10% coupon, if not lemme know.

I would then buy the sofa with a credit card and transfer it to a 0% for a year Citi card. You'll have to pay 3% for the transfer but you'll still get to keep your cash in your account. Do not use the card for anything else or you'll mess up your promotion. Same as above, figure if you can afford the 12 monthly payments.

If you can then go for it, stick it on plastic and knock it out in a year. I wouldn't spend baby money on a sofa and floor tho but that's just me :) Baby money is sacred!

park it said...

Here is my thought - get what you "need" now - enjoy it - installing floors and such - is all that harder with little bit under foot...A great place to get floors - www.builddirect.com - Wholesale - I used them for the new floors in my house (after the washer sprung a leak) and they are beautiful - if you want pics send me an email and I can send yo usome - I had carpet - so glad that is gone!

As far as $ - it is great that you have time to save - I like the idea to do the no interest credit card - and pay in one yr - if you find you get a referral sooner - then you can always pay it off right before leaving - still leaving your cards empty for all that shopping in China - and there will be shopping - plan on it - such great deals and all the cool stuff for the future for the little one.

I hope the referrals speed up - I know the waiting SUCKS - I understand about life on hold - but use the time to travel - take a cruise - etc -
Good Luck
carol
chinazhoumom@comcast.net

Lindsey said...

Hang in there..you WILL recieve your referral and when you do it will be so worth the wait and more. I know the wait sucks and the not knowing when sucks but one day you will feist your eyes on your beautiful Giorgia and it will be worth it!

Unknown said...

Lets hope for shorter waits!!!!

We are having our Monday prayer group over at
www.thechristopherfamily.blogspot.com tomorrow

hope you will join us!

mskajlc said...

Do it!! If it doesnt make your wait any less at least you will have nice floors to pace on! (I dont remember your house needing new floors, you have a beautiful home).

Last year I bought a hot tub, I thought for sure we would have plenty of time before referral to to replace the $$. A week later I got the call that Lia was ours and had to pay the new agency an extra $4000! Well, its 10 months later and that hot tub JUST THIS WEEK got hooked up!

Get your new furniture and floors and trust me, when you get that call you will do what ever it takes to get Giorgi home. You will find a way!

Donna said...

Hi Stephe,

Sorry that my post on the wait kind of gave you a slap in the face. I really am still hoping for an early 2008 referral. Actually, if they could start referring 15 days each month, which I don't think is too much to ask, we could still have our referral by December.

I just don't even want to think that they could let the wait extend out to 3 years...for God sake, they KNOW that lots of waiting parents are already in their 40's! Don't they want their children to be raised by parents who are still young and active??

Hang in there Stephe, our time is coming. Hopefully sooner than later.

Donna :)

rubyiscoming said...

I am SOOOO with you! we share the same LID date and there is just so much uncertainty! we are supposed to be moving out of state, too, and just keep putting it off until we know something or have a better idea about when we might be going to China!!!

We are debt free, too - kudos on getting rid of credit cards! :)

Good luck with your decision on floors and couch

Kim

Related Posts with Thumbnails