Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Baby JetLag once Home

I'd love to hear what you have on overcoming jet lag with a 9 month old baby! Tiffany (Needing sleep!)
Tiffany, first off, I have to say that Eliza is such a beautiful little girl!!! I just love her giggle! I'm so happy for the both of you!!!
Okay, so this is what I’ve found on Baby Jet Lag once home. Hope something in this post will help. Seems like it does take time. You won’t feel like a zombie forever and both you and Eliza will be on US time very soon!!! :)
I’ve read that babies adjust about one hour per day, so you can expect it to take about twelve days for her to get on the clock with her sleep.

The things that I’ve read that have helped others were to try and get back into a schedule as much as you can. Try to get up at a normal time and go to bed at your usual time. No matter how hard it is, keep her awake during the day! Go to the store, play outside, have music on, dance.... whatever it takes. Allow her two naps, but remember you may have to wake her and suffer her crankiness a bit.

Getting out in the sunlight helps adjustment. Both you and your baby need to “Get Outside” in daylight as much as possible. This is supposed to help reset your internal clock.

Limit her daytime naps to two hours. Depriving her of sleep altogether during the day can't force her to adjust faster -- it will just make everybody unhappier all day long.

Make sure her room stays dark at night and very light/bright during the day. She needs to learn that daytime is for being awake, and nighttime is for sleeping. (Do this only until she is on your schedule)

If your daughter is awake in the middle of the night, you can stay up with her in her room, with the lights very low, and played very quietly until she fell asleep again a few hours later. One person post that if she awakes at night, NEVER take her out of her crib. You can stay in the room and comfort her but make sure that she stays in the crib with the lights OFF or dim. Don’t make your little one think that it’s playtime in the middle of the night!

5 comments:

Eliza2006 said...

Thanks!!! Things are getting better. It really does seem that every day she is about 1 hour closer to being on the right schedule! Great research!!!

Tiffany

dawn said...

You truly are the research queen. Thank you.With Lily we did lots of time outside and finally when we were so exhausted and it was my night up with her I put her to bed at 7am and told hubby to wake me at 10am and got her up at 11am. It was tough and I felt cruel. I kept her awake until 7pm that night and then she went down for the whole night. We followed about an hour later. Even the pediatrician said it would take 3 weeks but I couldnt see bonding with a baby and attaching when we were all so exhausted so I tried it my way and it worked. Who knows if it will work again. Probably not!

Anonymous said...

Love all your research and tips! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Wow - this is hard work! We have been back home in South Africa after a month long visit to Canada. My son Cole woke on our first night back at 3am and never went back to zzz, then came 2am the next night & last night was 1am...so looks like he is conforming to the "hour" theory...thanks for giving me some comfort that there is light at the end of the tunnel..(or should I say zzz)I must say there is NOTHING worth watching on TV at 1am!!

Anonymous said...

I wish I'd read this sooner. My 10 month old baba is really battling since returning home to Australia, after a month in South Africa. It's our 5th night and worst so far. Think I've been going wrong by letting her get up and play when she wakes in the middle of the night. Tomorrow night its lights off and a book or two. Fingers crossed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails