Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

The Healthy Baby Nursery

I read this article called The Healthy Baby Nursery by Annie B. Bond and sometimes I wonder if too much information is a bad thing. Sometimes I am so confused, should I buy into all of the stuff I read? It seems like everything can be an issue. I guess it’s up to the individual. So, as I always do, I will share some of the highlights of this article. (and freak out quietly here at work about my toxic nursery at home! *sigh* ) Click on the Title for the link to the complete article.

Paint and Carpeting
Find out whether there is lead paint on the walls! Homes built prior to 1978 could have this problem.

The carpet in your nursery can actually contain dust mites, mold, and mildew. If there is old carpeting in the nursery, you might want to consider replacing it.

New furniture is made of pressed wood, something to avoid because of the formaldehyde in the glues that will continually outgas for the entire life of the piece. Choose real wooden furniture instead.

Toxic Crib Mattresses
“In a study of six brands of crib-size waterproof mattress covers conducted by Anderson Laboratories, all were found to emit toxic fumes in various degrees, and some caused acute toxicity to the respiratory tract of male mice. Five of the mattress covers were made of polyvinyl chloride covered with cotton or polyester layers. The remaining cover was made of polyolefin. Chemical emissions included suspected carcinogens.” So, If this is true, I wonder if the zippered waterproof mattress cover that I bought from Target is ok? Wouldn’t you think that if these items are toxic that they would not be on the market?

The recommendation is to use crib and bassinet mattresses made of organic, natural materials.
“Avoid plastic or polyurethane encasements. To prevent moisture from seeping onto the mattress from leaking diapers, invest in an absorbent "wool puddle pad," designed to insert between the sheet and mattress. Avoid pillows until the baby is at least 1 year old, and after that, invest in a natural fiber, organic pillow.”

2 comments:

Lisa~~ said...

You always have such wonderful information on your site, and it is truly appreciated.

Stephe said...

Thanks Lisa. Glad you like my little tidbits of information that I come across. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails